why not OS X?

Nick (Spunky Cadaver) yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 4 14:53:01 2002

>On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 16:08, Kenshin Black wrote:
>>  Tell me where can i download osX for free, how can i radically improve the
>>  speed of Aqua, and how can i freely upgrade packages on this system
>
>... and not get sued by Apple in the process while trying to make your
>OS X system viable in a large department.
>
>We looked at OS X and decided that it's a joke on any level besides a
>home-user's machine. Any system where I have to GO and SIT DOWN in front
>of the machine and actually click buttons to upgrade it... right-o. Note
>that I'm not talking about anything you can install via fink -- I'm
>talking about the "software updater" that updates the core system. Right
>now someone has to be present there to click buttons to actually update
>the box. Multiply it times 250, and you will understand why we don't
>support it in the department.

well TECHNICALY you could do it with Timbuktu...but that would
involve spending more money, so bad idea, I think VNC is coming along
well with OS X though...Also how do pure Darwin users update?

>Further along -- NFS implementation blows chunks. So does automounter.
>But that's ok, I understand that they are just add-ons and OS X really
>relies on SMB and Kerberos/LDAP. That's actually fine by me.
>
>I am more concerned with the speed of security patches -- it took Apple
>over 4 weeks to actually push new version of ssh. That's simply
>unacceptable! Other security issues were handled just as sluggishly. We
>sit on internet2, so we are a VERY nice target for script-kiddies and
>get scanned for vulnerabilities all the time. Having a glaring hole open
>for a month without a way to patch it save turning it off... NO.

Im pretty sure you could have just downloaded SSH yourself and
compiled it....to fix the hole...may be wrong though.

--
01001110011010010110001101101011

Nick Shaff
mailto:spunkycadaver@mac.com