why not OS X?

Konstantin Riabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 4 20:05:05 2002

--=-h0Zs8rGgw7C3aIpWH3/V

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 21:37, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> Apple Remote Desktop has software distribution functionality like=20
> that in addition to the VNC-equivalent stuff.

Ok, so it looks interesting. Of course, it's far from being anywhere as
useful as our system, but it's something. I will suggest it to our Mac
Users Group -- they might find it useful. With an educational discount
it is actually not that bad.

The problem I see with this is the same I see with all "remote
administration" tools -- I still have to manually "push" things onto it,
remember the existing configurations on the computers, and worry about
dependencies (although this is not much of a big deal on OS X).=20

Consider this: I have an ftp client running on *some* of my boxes. With
this Remote Desktop I have to manually single out those systems and push
the newer version onto them. With yup, I have to just update the central
repository and all clients that have vsftpd installed will automatically
update it whenever the updater cron job runs again.

Not much of a deal when your numbers are in the hundreds, but definitely
a problem when you have thousands of boxes -- our central repository
updates several versions of Red Hat for the whole Duke.

What I *might* consider, though, is replacing some Windows boxen that
our front-office people use with OS X machines running Remote Desktop.
Since it's only 10 machines, this will work fine.

--=20
 0>  Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
/ )  Duke Physics Systems Admin, RHCE
 ~   www.duke.edu/~icon/pubkey.asc