NIC cards? (WAS:Re: PowerMac 5400 as server/gateway?)

Jay Savage yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 5 11:52:00 2002

On Wednesday, June 05, 2002, at 03:58PM, Romeyn Prescott <prescor@digirom.potsdam.edu> wrote:

>Somewhen around 9:50 AM -0400 6/5/02, a person believing themself to
>be Sam Moore scribbled:

<snip>

>>According to Everymac, there aren't any slots free on this machine:
>>
>>http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac/stats/powermac_5400_120.html
>
>That's not how *I* read that page.

<snip>

>Having gutted it I can tell you that it has ONE PCI slot which may or
>may not be vacant.  So theoretically you could have a card in the
>CommSlot (CS-II) and one in the PCI slot and it should function as
>you'd like.
>
>...ROMeyn

that's not how I read the page, either . . . or how I read the board.  :)  I think what everymac is trying to say is that there are no bays for extra internal drives.  Which is probably true.

And on that note, does anyone have experience with any of the following Ethernet/NIC cards in the <$25 (prefferably <$15) range, which is about all I'm willing to spend on a card for this experiment?

*  D-Link DFE-530TX+
*  SMC SMC1244TX
*  Mac Sense E-450
*  Fallaron Netline PN993MW-TX
*  Netgear FA311TX
*  Linksys EtherFast LNE100TX

I'm also open to other cheap, readily available suggestions.

Thanks so much,

--jay