Any Interest in a HOW-TO Install OS9/OSX/YDL on White iBook? I Can Write One...

wmkruse yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 12 11:57:01 2002

I'm in the same boat.  Note: I find there is some confusion related to
the video card and the model of iBook.  Are ATI Mobility Radeon and ATI
Rage Mobility the same?  If not, there are 600 MHz ibooks in which some
have one or the other:

Previous (post 2001 models?) with ATI Rage Mobility 128?
Model# M8597LL/C - 500 Mhz 12.1"
Model# M8599LL/C - 600 Mhz 12.1"
Model# M7701LL/A - 600 Mhz 14.1"

Most recent models: with ATI Mobility Radeon?
Model# M8600LL/A - 600 Mhz 12.1"
Model# M8602LL/A - 700 Mhz 12.1"
Model# M8603LL/A - 700 Mhz 14.1"

If there is a significant difference between the ATI Rage and the ATI
Radeon, then describing an iBook as a 600Mhz is going to cause a lot of
confusion.

I have model M8600LL/A, which I purchased not 2 weeks ago from an Apple
store.  I have yet to get YDL 2.2 to run.  Even after
"install-text-safe" mode installation, the video washes out during
reboot.

I was able to get YDL 2.1 running however in X Windows only in 8 bit
color and what there are for colors are very odd, almost like a
negative.