SImpletext and Pico

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 12 19:18:01 2002

Jay Savage wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a method of transfering plaintext files between
>MacOS and Linux?  I have some webpages that I would like to work on on
>differnt machines, but any work I do in Pico or Emacs is unreadable in
>Simpletext, and vice versa.

 Ack, Pico and SimpleText, the worst of both worlds. :-)

 I would strongly recommend getting the lite version of BBEdit. It is free
and a *much* better text editor than SimpleText. Download it from
www.barebones.com, and if you like it you can upgrade to the full version
(well worth it). On the linux side, I use vi, and GVim when in X-windows,
setting fileformat to mac (as Patrick suggested) will work but it doesn't
behave the way I would expect (but I haven't used it much). If you do
:fileformat=mac and then :wq when you open it again it should be normal.
vi might take a little bit to learn, but it is well worth it IMHO.

 Another way to convert the file is this:

 perl -i -pe 's/\015/\012/g' <filename>

 This will convert it to Unix carriage returns.

 Having said all that, if you have BBEdit, you can save your files with
Unix carriage returns, and even set it as the default (recommended). This
will probably make your life easier.

Cheers,

Chris

--