YDL 2.2 and PPC 7500

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 15 20:42:01 2002

You can get by fine with swap and / (root). It's a breeze to install
additional drives and switch mount points over to those drives once you
get the installation going. Keep in mind that anything that taxes drive
performance won't be great with a single partition and e2fsck will take
longer to puzzle out problems with a single partition, but you can do it
fine.

In fact, unless you have a really nice drive, the gains from setting up
separate partitions are nowhere near the gains from splitting mount points
over multiple drives (at least on SCSI), so you'll wind up with a zippier
system anyway if you take this route.

You might also want, when you have some time, to read up a little on how
Linux handles mount points, so you can get yourself thinking more 'nixy
about drives and mounts.

Short answer: yes, no problem. Probably better to do it that way if you
have a small drive: you can always add/expand drives later.

- n