apache 1.3.26?

Konstantin Riabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 24 17:31:01 2002

--=-9RaB4ViOevkxKxGLRqY1

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 19:21, Paul J. Lucas wrote:
> > Again, and I will re-state this -- do not give me an example of how eas=
y it
> > will be to do this on one machine. I can run any bizarre setup I want o=
n one
> > machine. I am talking about hundreds of machines here.
>=20
> 	So am I if you were paying attention.  When the build is
> 	complete, I type -- make distribute -- and it gets distributed
> 	to the server farm.

That assumes 100% identical server setups, which is not true in my case.
Some of the boxes I am responsible for require mod_php, some mod_perl,
some mod_python, some mod_webauth, etc. RPM allows me to do important
things like track dependencies, preserve configuration files, do clean
updates, and all sorts of other yummy things.

> > Now, if you are running apache built without DSO support, that means ea=
ch new
> > release of apache requires a rebuild of all built-in modules.
>=20
> 	Yes, I know.  Your point?  Again, I just type "make" and let
> 	the computer do the work.  What do I care if it has to rebuild
> 	other modules?

Fine. This has quickly degenerated into arguing about different things
-- I am proving to you that RPM is priceless in a heterogenous
environment, and you're proving to me that it's not required in a
homogenous environment. I am not arguing the latter.

--=20
 0>  Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
/ )  Duke University Physics Sysadmin
 ~   www.phy.duke.edu/~icon/pubkey.asc