6500 install hell

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 26 02:18:01 2002

At 1:48 AM -0400 6/26/02, Rich Dolinsky wrote:

>>  5. OK. At this point, I begin suspecting hardware. I swap out the WD drive
>>  for a 30GB Maxtor, pull the internal SCSI devices, add my trusty
>>  Matsushita external CD-R, and boot again.
>
>Not sure if this was at all I good idea.  ATA interface on that machine is
>only 33MHZ rated.  Putting an ata 100 drive would not be a good idea...check
>that.

The ATA interface on that machine isn't 33 MHz, not by a long shot.
More like ~8.3 MHz in DMA mode.  (That translates to 16.6 MB/s
throughput since ATA is 2 bytes wide.  I forget the proper name for
that mode -- DMA mode 2 or something like that.)

Most UDMA (33 MB/s) and above (ATA66, ATA100, ATA133) drives should
be backwards compatible enough to work in the 6500.  A quick look at
the www.xlr8yourmac.com drive compatability database shows that
people are running very modern drives such as the Seagate Barracuda
ATA IV in the 6500 with no problems.
--
Tim Seufert