Updating OpenSSH from source

Konstantin Riabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 26 15:36:02 2002

--=-fhmrGAwvDb594J3jk8yD

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 17:18, Christopher Murtagh wrote:
>=20
>  Here are simple instructions on how to update OpenSSH to the most
> recent version (for those of use who do this sort of thing of course :-).
> Updating to openssh-3.4 is *strongly* recommended, whether you do it via
> source or RPM as there has been a vulnerability found that can lead to a
> root compromise.

Notably, Red Hat and YellowDog Linux are not affected.

This vulnerability only exists if s/key auth or BSD_AUTH is enabled
during compile time, which it isn't for RHL/YDL.

If you feel ultra-paranoid, add these lines to your
/etc/ssh/sshd_config:

ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

Although I've just looked at the openssh.spec in ydl-2.2 and s/key is
NOT enabled, so there is no reason to panic. Upgrade whenever a new
package is available.

Regards,
--=20
 0>  Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev