KDE 3 / YDL 2.1 / RPM

Andy Hocker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 27 00:46:01 2002

Hi all,

I'm still running YDL 2.1 (yo soy un caveman) and I thought
I'd see if I could install KDE 3.  I followed the HOWTO on
the YDL site but when it came time to install the RPMs
I got a slew of errors, mostly of the form "libXXXX.so.Y is
needed by packageZZZZ."  One of the libraries that quite
frequently appeared was libcrypto.so.2, so I tried to install
the openssl-0.9.6b-8.ppc.rpm, but that bombed saying that
libcrypto.so.1 was needed by various other installed packages.

So I'm going to bag this for now, maybe update to YDL 2.2 or 2.3
later on, but anyway my question is nice 'n' dumb:  By using
the "rpm --replacefiles -i *.rpm" command (as it shows on the
HOWTO) did I do anything nasty?  The --replacefiles thing
makes me nervous.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Hocker                     office: CDF trailer 168-O
University of Rochester         phone:     (630)-840-8622
Fermilab/CDF - M.S. 318         fax:       (630)-840-2968
PO Box 500                      e:        hocker@fnal.gov
Batavia, IL  60510              hey ho:          let's go