YDL 2.3 install

Pete Peters yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 27 08:35:01 2002

I'm sorry, but this post is unacceptable -- TOO MUCH GOOD NEWS!!!! Just
kidding. Nice to hear for a change that most things work as expected. Thanks
for the report.

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf
Of nicman
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 2:19 AM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: YDL 2.3 install

Hi,

I installed YDL 2.3 yesterday and here are some of my observations. Most of
the problems I came across were related to the Powerbook 667mhz G4 I was
using. I hope that this post may be useful to someone. Overall my experience
with YDL 2.3 has been positive.

1: YDL 2.3 gui install works better - YDL 2.2 install only worked in text
mode
on the Powerbook.

2. YDL2.3 Yaboot install worked - YDL 2.2 did not

3. YDL 2.3 still does not list the 1280x854 resolution for new Tibook
Powerbook - I chose 1024x768 and text login - I expected this because the
website list that YDL 2.3 does not support Mobility video.

4. I ran xconfigurator after install and chose fail safe monitor settings
(FBdev driver works at 1280x854) then changed default color depth to 16 in
XF86Config-4 file

5. YDL 2.3 KDE3 seems to run real slow. I did not have this issue with YDL
2.2
and KDE3 - I tested installing the old KDE3 over the new one in YDL 2.3. It
was much faster.

6. YDL 2.3 Gnome runs good.

7. Sound starts every session of gnome or kde at full volume. I can't seem
save the volume adjustment between sessions. I had the same problem with YDL
2.2

8. The power management still doesn't work on the Powerbook. When I close
the
lid the system goes to suspend mode but I can never wake it up afterwards.

Thats it for now.

Jim Paradis
mailto:nicman@newsguy.com