YDL 2.3 + KDE . . . . slow?

Roger Chrisman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 28 15:59:01 2002

Hi all,

I upgraded from YDL 2.1 to 2.3 and suddenly KDE apps take 30+ seconds to open
-- Trash, Konqueror, Konsol and Configuration Panel, specifically are all
taking way longer to open with YDL 2.3 than with YDL 2.1 (I haven't tried the
other apps yet).

Anyone else have this problem?

Any idea what is causing the slow down?

Thanks!

Roger

My details:
----------------
PowerBook 333MHz G3 bronze (1999-2000, no Firewire)
- installed YDL 2.3 "everything" (1.8 GB).
- had the slow KDE with both of the following X configurations:
      1) 1024 x 768, 16 bit color, Acceleration ON, X affects set to 50%
      2) 1024 x 768, 16 bit color, Acceleration OFF, X affects set minimum
- Error message on boot (into text mode):
      ntpd failed
- Error message on startx:
      sound dev not found, routing to dev/null
- Can't see this being related, but in case it is.. bootup does NOT set
     Hostname to the string, "G3", that I put into /etc/HOSTNAME. Instead
     bootup is continues setting Hostname to "localhost.localdomain".