OS X to Linux transition - Help needed!

Chaz yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 28 17:49:01 2002

Hello:

On Thursday, June 27, 2002, at 10:33  PM, David Dahl wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 23:23, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
>
>> I believe so. I'm currently running RedHat 7.3 on a company notebook
>> (Acer,
>> 600 MHz) and the machine is just so much faster then this stupid MacOS
>> X. I
>> HATE MacOS X - I just don't want to live without the very good
>> applications
>> which are out there for it.
>>
>> And of course, BBEdit - how could I forget? I use vim extensively on
>> Linux,
>> and I really like vim - but there is no substitue for "Open from FTP
>> server".
>> Can't we convince BareBones to port it to Linux?
>

> That is why i just bought quanta gold from thekompany.com (they have 3.3
> as a linuxppc binary) and supports open from ftp.  but, it won't really
> run without qt3 installed, so i will wait for my YDL 2.3 disks to use
> it.
>
> yeah, MacOS X is sooo slooow on my tibook 400.  its ridiculous.  apple
> should at least let us turn off half of the hoggy-drop shadow crap.

Turn off the eye candy?  But then you don't have Mac OS X, you have a
slightly aquafied Mac OS 9 with less features!

OS X runs quite nicely on my PowerMac G4 2X800Mhz :)
But I may add a partition for YDL when I reformat my drive for Jaguar.
How stable is YDL when used with X Windows?  I have YDL installed on a
7300, but I use it for serving and it doesn't get a lot of opportunity
to crash.

Some people say they get good performance with low-end Macs running Mac
OS X, however it's obvious the minimum requirements are way too low for
enjoyment.  But what was Apple supposed to do?  Make the requirements
800Mhz and 512MB RAM?

Just be happy that when you buy a computer and you don't like the OS,
there's always Linux.

Where's the G5...