YDL 2.3 + KDE . . . . slow?

nicman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 29 02:00:01 2002

Roger,

Yes..I have the very same problem! Konqueror and few other KDE apps takes=
 so=20
long to load in YDL2.3.  I'm hopefully there will be a fix coming soon fo=
r=20
this problem. (BTW I did a clean install of YDL2.3)

system: Powerbook 667mhz G4

Jim Paradis
nicman@newsguy.com

--Original message--
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:00:24 -0700
From: Roger Chrisman <rogerhc@pacbell.net>
Subject: YDL 2.3 + KDE . . . .   slow?
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com

Hi all,

I upgraded from YDL 2.1 to 2.3 and suddenly KDE apps take 30+ seconds to =
open=20
-- Trash, Konqueror, Konsol and Configuration Panel, specifically are all=
=20
taking way longer to open with YDL 2.3 than with YDL 2.1 (I haven't tried=
 the=20
other apps yet).=20

Anyone else have this problem?

Any idea what is causing the slow down?

Thanks!

Roger

My details:
----------------
PowerBook 333MHz G3 bronze (1999-2000, no Firewire)
- installed YDL 2.3 "everything" (1.8 GB).
- had the slow KDE with both of the following X configurations:
      1) 1024 x 768, 16 bit color, Acceleration ON, X affects set to 50%
      2) 1024 x 768, 16 bit color, Acceleration OFF, X affects set minimu=
- Error message on boot (into text mode):
      ntpd failed
- Error message on startx:
      sound dev not found, routing to dev/null
- Can't see this being related, but in case it is.. bootup does NOT set
     Hostname to the string, "G3", that I put into /etc/HOSTNAME. Instead
     bootup is continues setting Hostname to "localhost.localdomain".