Gone Paranoid: private IP to public IP!!

Iain Stevenson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 29 04:25:00 2002

I suggest, others may add ...

- go through /etc/xinetd.conf and disable anything you don't need
- make sure tcpwrappers is correctly installed and that /etc/hosts.allow
and /etc/hosts.deny are configured correctly
- don't run nfs unless you need it
- install gShield or some other iptables based firewall script - this can
block high port access amongst other things

If you get to the stage in future where the ports for http and ssh are
externally accessible you may want to install the latest versions of apache
and ssh too.  You would also need to make sure that sendmail/postfix/exim
or whatever you use to send mail is configured so as not to relay mail from
external systems.

HTH

  Iain

--On Saturday, June 29, 2002 3:53 am -0400 Juan Manuel Palacios