Booting YDL 2.1 on B&W G3 Problems

Jeffrey Bruton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 30 10:01:01 2002

> How you can tell what you've got: Rev 7 chips are marked
> "CMD646U2-402", while Rev 5's lack the "-402".  The chip is located in
> a far corner of the motherboard, behind the PCI slots (between the
> slots and the slot covers).  Fortunately, it's on the top of the
> board, so you don't have to take the board out.

I got the bad chip. Apple replaced my mother board well after the rev 2
B&W were out. They used the exact mobo, I wonder if the rev 1 could not
use the rev 2 board? If that is not the case I wish they would have
given me the rev 2. O'well.

Update: I got YDL to boot from the HD. I did some swapping with the
drives. I got it to work by removing the master, set the jumpers for 2nd
drive to master and used the mobo instead of the sonnet. Put the install
cd in, reinstalled yaboot, restarted and it booted YDL. That's good, but
the original drive has mac oses that I still need to use.

I did try putting both drives on the sonnet, the original as the master.
On restart I got the flashing sys folder, it found OS X eventually, if
the YDL CD was not in the drive. I thought if I chose the startup disk
in OS X again and restarted it would be fine. It still couldn't find the
startup disk right away, so I think I have to keep OS X on the mobo IDE
jumpered as master, you OS X requires it.

What I wanted to do is have YDL on my slave drive hooked up to the
sonnet. Does it seem possible? Not to me, but I am fairly new at this,
no, I'm really new at this.

As for the OF documentation, this is for part I, there are links to part
II and III on the page.

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html

I really don't understand most of it myself, but I was at least able to
move around and get properties on different parts of the device tree. I
was unable to tell just what was what though, or if I did have the
correct path to the sonnet card, the device I was trying to get to boot
via OF, something else went wrong.

Which brings me to, what would be the correct syntax to attempt to get
YDL to boot off the slave on the sonnet card if I knew that

1) the full path to the card was

/pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@5/

or something like that. Because I am not using a devalias, I am unsure
of the syntax.

boot /pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@5/,yaboot  ???
boot hd:/pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@5/,yaboot   ???

or something totally different.

2) is there a way to get OF device tree info while in OS X, 9 or YDL? I
would like to post the dev tree to see if anyone could take a stab at
the correct device, so I know for sure I can not use OF to boot into YDL
off the slave on the sonnet. Save it somehow? print it somehow? I don't
really want to write it all down and then input it to an email, but I
will if that's the only way.

I know YDL will boot off the drive, it just won't boot in the
configuration I would like, but at least I got into it. Thanks a lot you
guys!

After this gets resolved, my next problem is, when I was in YDL I
thought I would try to get the modem working, the machine froze while
probing for the dev... for another day!