Is anyone else having kernel problems?

Robert Serphillips yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 30 16:51:01 2002

I've also been having some serious problems with this kernel. That's
why I'm moving back to the 2.4.18 kernel which I've had no problems
with. Well, except with the ydl 2.2 source package that gives me
unresolved symbols for certain modules, but that's another thread I
started. The 2.4.18-ben0 final kernel was rock solid but I can't seem
to find the source anywhere for it. ppckernel.org only lists the
newest.

This kernel has serious problems. I had the same experience you
described below but a bit more extreme.

copying to my NFS partition causes lots of errors with the 8139
Realtek card (D-link 530tx). It's also a bit slow. I have no problems
with the 2.4.18.

uptime has been almost embarrassing. 2 day tops. Usually I get a panic
everyday. Sometimes every few hours. I don't use ext3 so I don't think
it's related to that.  Most of the time I have a log entry at 4:02 AM
for some cron job. When I check my email at 8:00 it's already hosed.I
have had it die at other time too.

I haven't noticed any file system corruption.

The only reason I  upgraded was because the mesh driver was finally
fixed, so I could use my Yamaha cdrw2100. I guess I can live with
backing up to my NFS disk

-Rob