Dual/Triple booting with separate disks?

Romeyn Prescott yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 28 06:28:01 2002

I have a G4 tower with a 30GB IDE drive (one HFS partition with both
Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X on it and a SCSI card with a 9GB fast&wide
drive attached to it.

I booted from the YDL 2.1 CD and partitioned and installed YDL to the
9GB drive:

/dev/sdc6 = boot
/dev/sdc7 = swap
/dev/sdc8 = /

When it asked where my various OSes were in order to configure
yaboot, I entered in the proper partitions.

When I rebooted after an apparently successful install, the G4 booted
back to MacOS.  I booted into YDL by booting from the CD and typing
"cd-linux boot=/dev/sdc8" and ran /sbin/ybin and the G4 still boots
from Mac OS on the IDE drive.

I tried booting from CD and going back into Linux again, but now,
after issuing the same command, it STARTS to boot, but kernel panics
because it can't read the super_block and can't find a reiserfs
filesystem on the device.

???!?!

I can't find any docs on the YDL site that address dual/triple
booting when multiple disks are involved.  LinuxPPC.org used to have
some docs on hacking your OpenFirmware, but their site seems to have
dropped off the face of the web.

Can anyone here help me?

...ROMeyn
--