Bringing up 2nd NIC card

David McInnis yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 29 11:22:02 2002

I am running YDL 2.1 with kernel 2.4.10-12a.

I have a network running on the integrated NIC that comes with my G4.

I have added a second NIC (MacSense by xsense that uses the Realtek
(rtl8139) chipset.) to this machine.

I went to Web and found a driver, downloaded the source and compiled
driver.  This compilation yielded 2 files:  pci-scan.o and rtl8139.o.

I then do:

insmod pci-scan.o
insmod rtl8139.o

to bring up the interface.  Hey, it works.

My problem is this. Where do I need to call these in order for the
interface to come up at boot?  I want both (the current eth0 and the new
eth1) to be activated at boot.  Will they be inserted in that order (I
have tried to insert rtl8139.o without the pci-scan.o and it fails)?

Currently I have them in /lib/modules/2.4.10-12a/net.

Thanks,

David McInnis