multiple linux installs

Mark T. Valites yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 29 12:28:00 2002

Yes, I have seen the docs at the url listed below.  In fact, they were one
of the things that I liked quite a bit about yellow dog when I installed
yesterday.  Short of external video, firewire & dvd support, I was very
impressed.

However, the multi-OS readme deals with just one linux install & OS 8/9 &
OSX, not multiple linux installs.

I have this setup.
	1 /yellow_dog
	1 /debian
	1 bootstrap
	1 swap
	1 /home

I added the line for debian as debian=/dev/hdxN and reran yaboot anyways,
but nothing showed up in the menu on boot & no errors were reported when I
reran yaboot.  I was able to boot from the kernel on the yellow dog
partition & feed it "root=/dev/DEBIAN'S_PARITION" to get it to boot to
debian.  While this works, it isn't the correct solution (at least in my
eyes)...

The problem arises when I blow away yellow dog (rm -f /my/kernel or rm -rf
/ - oops?)  Now when I want to boot debian, I can't.  My OS9 & X installs
must have something sitting in the boot block of their respective
partitions that tell them "ok, let's boot".  There is no such thing on the
debian / partition.  The way to do it with lilo would be
boot=/dev/DEBIAN'S_ROOT_PARTITION, but I just don't know the yaboot
equivalent.  Assuming there is one, once I do this, will rerunning yaboot
with a debian=/dev/DEBIAN'S_ROOT_PARTITION will it pick this up & show it
in the boot menu?

I can provide partition maps, yaboot.conf & more explantion if needed.
All thoughts are appreciated ahead of time!!

~Mark