linux doesnt need ctrl alt del?? ha!

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 29 21:31:01 2002

Come on, guys, this silliness has gone on enough.  No OS is perfect.
Certainly Linux isn't, or Linus Torvalds and his merry band could
just stop and have some beers together to celebrate their
accomplishments.

Until somebody writes an OS that attains a state of perfection (don't
hold your breath), there is always a place for a way to reset the
machine.  In the case of Linux, the common distribution practice of
binding ctrl-alt-del to execute "shutdown -r now" or equivalent is
quite nice to have, because it lets you cleanly reboot the system if
something bad is going on that prevents you from typing the same
command into a prompt.  It's saved my butt from fsck before.

Do you folks who don't believe in ctrl-alt-del for Linux practice
what you preach and not only disable it, but disconnect the hardware
reset switch?  After all, if Linux is perfect enough that you will
never ever need ctrl-alt-del...

Sun includes all sorts of magic keyboard combos on their systems,
ranging from resetting the system to halting the OS and dumping you
into Open Firmware.  Sun's computers are designed and marketed as
professional UNIX workstations and servers, but I guess these
features mean that some folks here would accuse them of "old
thinking" carried over from the bad old days of crappy personal
computer operating systems like DOS.

(Now somebody's going to take a cheap shot at Solaris... I can just
taste it coming... :)
--
Tim Seufert