linux doesnt need ctrl alt del?? ha!

Robert Brandtjen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 29 18:01:01 2002

On Friday 29 March 2002 08:32 pm, Stephanie Bryant wrote:
> I can't necessarily reproduce the effects, and I don't know what I do to do
> it, but I have been known to crash systems within five minutes of touching
> them, linux or otherwise.

Have considered drying your hands off before touching the keyboard ?

:-)

Most , if not all, hard crashes are either due to user malfeasance - forcing
in an RPM which doesn't belong there or using untested beta kernel's.

Many, many crashes are caused from faulty hardware. MacOS 9 and windows will
often forgive bad ram, and crash periodically as you expect them to - because
you expect them to, you don't consider the faulty hardware. Linux shouldn't
crash and take down the whole system with it, Unix systems in general
shouldn't. If they do, look at the logs and see what caused it. a bad drive,
or faulty ram, poor cabaling, etc. can cause these crashes.

the only time I have crashed a Linux box was using experimental video drivers
and had X misconfigured for them - causing a kernel panic due to the video
mod itself when it was called forth, other then that, nothing.

Miscompilling a kernel and it's mods can cause it as well.

using Tail on OSX used to cause it to die, so did opening 10 or more apps,
but that was a year ago, I'm sure it's been fixed now.
--
 Robert Brandtjen