linux doesnt need ctrl alt del?? ha!

Robert Vogt IV yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 31 00:03:01 2002

> On Friday 29 March 2002 07:27 pm, Ryan Mesler wrote:
> > saying that linux doesnt need ctrl-alt-del is a crock. linux needs it just
> > as much as any other OS. the great stories if this wonderfully stable OS
> > i'd heard many moons ago were nothing more than a fallacy.
> >
> > i consider myself an intermediate linux user and am experienced in areas
> > that most are not. i think i have a right in saying that you sir... are
> > incorrect.
>
> I have yet to crash an i386 box running Linux -
> mayhap you should take a course on Linux - though I'm not sure what it is you
> could have done to crash it, since I have tried very hard to do so and could
> not.

	I'll have to concur on that.  We run a whole bunch of YDL and RHL
machines, and none have ever needed an unexpected reboot (power failures
not included)...  I did crash my PowerBook quite a bit (it's my testing
system), but that was always a result of user stupidity (think "/dev/hda >
/dev/fb0" or "rm -Rf /proc").  Regardless, I don't think the PowerPC
kernel has ever supported control-alt-delete for soft shutdowns (although
hardware-based control-command-power does work on ADB boxes).

			-Robert Vogt IV