ANNOUNCE: OpenOffice.org 1.0.0 is released for PPC Linux

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 1 16:16:00 2002

Hi,

The official 1.0.0 release of OpenOffice.org for PPC Linux is now
available!

OpenOffice.org basically supplies an almost drop in
replacement for Microsoft Office (and is getting better with every
release).

New in this release
----------------------
- new hyphenator

- new "install" script to make installation easier

- lots of stability improvements and bug fixes

- improved KDE and GNOME desktop integration

- lots of new dictionaries available from:
http://whiteboard.openoffice.org/lingucomponent/download_dictionary.html

For more information including the full source code/ release notes / FAQs,
etc check out the OpenOffice.org website:    http://www.openoffice.org

System Requirements
------------------------

- any ppc linux system with glibc 2.2.X or higher,
- XFree86 4.0 or higher
- 200 meg of free disk space

This includes YellowDogLinux 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2, SuSE 7.3 and higher,
MandrakeSoft  8.1, 8.2 Beta and Debian PPC.  If you have success with any
other PPC distributions, please let me know.

Installation Instructions
-------------------------
Please read the OOo_1.0.0_README for complete install
instructions (installation is very different from most unix programs).
If you run into trouble there is now a full OOo_install_guide.pdf
to help.

Download Locations
-----------------------
The home for PPC Linux OpenOffice.org releases is:

ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/software/openoffice/

Graciously mirrored at:

http://ftp.penguinppc.org/projects/openoffice/
ftp://ftp.penguinppc.org/projects/openoffice/
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/powerpc/openoffice/release-1.0.0/

Please let me know if you can/will mirror this release/

Thank you Dan Burcaw (YDL) for providing a new home of the PPC Linux
OpenOffice.org project.  And thanks to Olaf Hering ( of SuSE) and Jeramy
Smith for (penguinppc.org) for graciously providing download locations for
this (and earlier releases!).

Please support our PPC Linux distributions and buy the latest
distributions, they are helping to bring great new software to you!

Thanks,

Kevin Hendricks
kevin.hendricks@sympatico.ca