Forcing a clean reinstall

Shawn Dunn yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 2 08:25:04 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002 10:13:59 -0400 (EDT)
Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 May 2002, Graham Leggett wrote:
> >Jonathan Singer wrote:
> >
> >> After making a shambles of my system trying to upgrade 2.1 to 2.2 with
> >> apt-get, I'd like to start over from scratch.
> >
> >Yellowdog is a Redhat based system, aptget is a Debian based tool - I
> >would imagine that if you tried to use aptget it would have toasted your
> >system nicely.

This would be an example of misinformation, none of the "package managers" are intrinsicly tied to the Linux distro that designed them, they're just another program, I've successfully use rpm on my slackware box, apt-get on this machine, slackware pkgtool on x86 redhat, hell, I've even got the netBSD Packages installed on my MkLinux machine (don't use it often, but its there).

		Just my $.02

				--Shawn