Help... can I use this printer with YDL 2.2?

Geert Janssens yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 4 11:51:01 2002

David Chart wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-05-04 at 11:50, Simon White wrote:
>
>>02-May-02 at 19:54, Sean O. Denney (sdenney@cise.ufl.edu) wrote :
>>
>>>First off, what is CUPS and how does it relate to YDL?  Second of all,
>>>can the old lpd print handler be put back into YDL 2.x, or am I stuck
>>>with what's there?
>>
>>CUPS is a printer driver interface, or a layer between Linux and your
>>printer, something like that. I have seen it mentioned on the list a
>>number of times. You have to install it (it's a package) and then
>>configure it for your printer. Seems like the best way to go for YDL.
>>

> Word of warning: When I installed CUPS (on YDL 2.1), it broke my system
> badly, causing a complete system freeze on startup and requiring a hard
> reboot. It is possible I did something wrong, but I just followed their
> instructions. If you try it and get the same problem, go into
> interactive startup, don't activate cups, and then, as root, take it out
> of the startup list. That fixed things for me.
>
> Of course, I don't have printing working at the moment...

Hmm,

For me cups worked with no problems on ydl 2.1. I also installed from
source following the instructions. The version of cups I used was 1.1.14-1.

I just upgraded to ydl 2.2. In the process I had to remove cups in order
to do a successful upgrade, and didn't put it back yet. So I can't tell
wether it works with 2.2 (yet).

Geert