KDE 3 problems

Pat Plummer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 5 11:07:01 2002

Rob:

>I get an error that the
>control panel has crashed.  Specifically:
>The application KDE Control Panel (kicker) has crashed and caused the
>signal 4 (SIGLL)
>Any idea how to deal with this?

Unfortunately, I can't help you with this one since I did it the painful
way -- removing the old and installing the new.

>In addition, once I have it installed I would like to use the new
>'liquid'
>theme, also linked to on the YDL home page.  I've downloaded the
>source,
>and when trying to do ./configure, I get the following:
>Checking for working makeinfo ... missing
>Checking for gcc ... gcc
>Checking for C compiler default output ... configure: error: C Compiler
>cannot create executables.
>What's wrong?  I don't do this type of stuff too often, but makeinfo
>seems familiar.  I've looked for a package to install it but can't see
>anything obvious.  Make is installed.  So is gcc.
>Help?

This looks like you don't have all the rpms installed to do a make. I've
had this happen on a new install. I can't tell you all the rpms to
install, but make sure automake etc installed.

Also, make sure you download the latest source (0.9.4).A caveat:

when you do make install, it will install everything into /usr/local/kde
and then will ask you to make sure you add /usr/local/kde/bin to your
path. This is silly since no directory by this name gets made in the
install.What I had to do is take the files in /usr/local/kde/bin and cp
them to the appropriate kde folders in /usr/share and /usr/lib. It works
with respect to the color schemes etc, but I don't get the throbbing
buttons etc I thought I would.

If anyone has advice (Dan?) on how to do this more artfully, I'd like to
know :) .

HTH,

Pat
--