Is anyone else having kernel problems?

Iain Stevenson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 5 12:26:00 2002

.. I remember starting this thread and I'm still having kernel problems.
I'm starting to feel like a veteran kernel compiler and it's no fun.

The difficulties I have had with the 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 kernels have been:

- failures to compile certain drivers
- failures to boot
- file system corruption (EXT3) with some of the 2.4.19-pre series

Kernels that have built have performed very strangely indeed and failed in
non-repeatable ways but with a partially common failure scenario ie:

- boot kernel, everything OK generally for up to a week
- a program (mrtg), a daemon (cron) or the filesystem starts to do really
funny things
- the system crashes in the early hours of the following morning
- there are no log messages giving clues to the problem.

Rebooting seems to restart the cycle.  I built the latest Ben kernel
yesterday and that booted, I'm hoping it keeps going ...  My system is on
an "Old World" Mac with the root partition on IDE disks running as a RAID1
array.

This has started to dent my confidence in Linux - it seems to me that the
2.4 series has had just a tad too much experimental stuff cobbled into it.

  Iain

--On Sunday, May 5, 2002 6:58 pm +0200 Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm>