ppp issues

Pat Plummer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 6 08:08:06 2002

>On recent kernels I have found the default route is not set up up
>properly the first time you dial up.

>Using "route -n", find out the destination IP address on the other side
>of your connection (the line that says ppp0 at the end), then issue the
>command "route add default gw <ip address>".

Graham (and Danny):

As long as a default route to eth0 (or any other interface other than
ppp0) is not present and the line in
etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0:

DEFROUTE=yes

is set, it is my understanding (and the way that it works on my 2.2
system) that ppp will setup the default route to your ISP (or to
whomever you are connecting) for you automagically. It does not seem to
take over the default route if one is already present, however.

If this is incorrect, hopefully someone will set me straight.

Pat

--
Embrace the penguin...