Install Problems YDL 2.2 - reading local package database

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 6 12:33:01 2002

06-May-02 at 18:41, Jim Askey (jim@freshapplejuice.com) wrote :
> System is MacOS 8.1 at present on
> PowerMac 7500 (Old world ROM) with a 3dfx Voodoo 5 PCI and USB PCI card
>
> Installer runs fine and i'm able to get upto the beginning of the
> install of the packages. At that point, after the installer says
> 'reading local package database' it comes up with
>
> ERROR
> -----------
> PLEASE CORRECT MANUALLY

I don't know if this is directly related to the CD Rom. After choosing the
Install Media, and before doing anything else, hit ALT-F2 and you should
have a command line. Type "mount" at the command line and see if the cdrom
is listed (or copy the output here, or whatever). It may be that the
install media is mounting - this error seems to be happening after drive
partitioning and before package selection... does that narrow it down?

> And then quits out of the installer. There is no more description of
> the error!!

Error messages in the Yellow Dog installer appear particularly unhelpful.

> Hope your keyboards dried out!!

I don't know right now. Sure hope it has, I am so nearly there with my
install!

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:6.200% see www.mersenne.org]
We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to