flash (the macromedia kind) on galeon

Geert Janssens yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 8 02:28:02 2002

I'm not so sure about that.

As far as I know, Mozilla DOES support plugins. I have, for example
installed a java plugin for mozilla. Since Netscape is based on mozilla,
I would expect it to support plugins as well.

However, as I've learned earlier on this list (you can probably find
more on this in the archives), Mozilla changed its plugin interface
quite often the last few releases (up until 0.9.8, I believe) which
rendered many plugins unusable.

The java plugin was rebuild against the plugin interface for mozilla
0.9.8, and it still works with my installation of mozilla 1.0 RC1, so I
assume the interface has stablized now. (The java plugin I mention here
is from Blackdown's JRE 1.3.1).

Flash is another story. According to earlier messages on this list,
Macromedia provides nor sources nor a PPC binary of their plugin. The
only flash compatible plugin is an open source project, which is only
capable of displaying Flash 4 content.

And possibly this open source flash plugin faces the same problem as the
java plugin did, namely that it broke due to the numerous interface changes.

Maybe it's worth finding the author of this open source flash plugin and
check with him. Since I'm not using the plugin, I have to ask the list
here. Does anybody know who wrote this ?

Cheers,
Geert