YDL2.2: wireless networking

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 8 11:15:01 2002

    Chris> Hi folks, I'm replying to my own message.  :(

    Chris> No one replied to my request for enabling older PowerMacs
    Chris> to use wireless cards under YDL2.2.

    Chris> Does this mean no one is doing this? I'm staggered...

Hi Chris,

Well, I'm not doing this with YDL2.2 (although I am using an airport
card in a powerbook with YDL2.2), My home router is a RedHat box with
a PCI card that is a pcmcia card slot and a wireless card (WaveLAN I
think) stuck in it. You can use this with the pcmcia drivers and the
wireless tools (iwconfig is the main one). I don't know if there are
any drivers in the kernel for straight PCI wireless cards, but I'd
guess there are, at least, a few. You can treat them like you would
any other interface. That is, use iwconfig for wireless specific
parameters and ifconfig for interface specific parameters. You should
also be able to set some defaults up in the /etc/sysconfig stuff.

hope this helps,

Mike

--
ydl@mikesoffice.com