Desire: Ignore On-board eth0, Use PCI eth1

Richard Petty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 8 16:53:01 2002

I've just installed YDL 2.2 on an Old World beige G3/300 minitower.
 This computer was originally sold by Apple as a server, so they
included a 10/100 Ethernet card in addition to the onboard 10Mbps Ethernet.

I want to set this machine up as a server in my home but I've
encountered problem in my attempts to make it use the faster PCI
Ethernet card and ignore the slower onboard Ethernet.

When the machine boots up, both eth0 (slow, onboard) and eth1 (PCI) are
assigned 192.168.0.5, so I execute "ifdown eth0", but of course the
system and apps are still looking at the wrong network interface.

I've done quite a bit of research on this and am surprised at the
paucity of info considering so many Mac users have upgraded their
machines with faster Ethernet cards.

Intel-based Linux docs explain the the order, and therefore precidence,
of the Ethernet cards is determined at boot time. Their recommendations
include removing the slow card of a pair or swapping their physical
locations on the PCI bus.

Of course, this doesn't help Mac users.

--Richard