IO Error after V2.2 installation - unable to reinstall V2.1 - Solution

H.P. Noordam yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 9 12:39:08 2002

I saw the following problem on this list:

After installing 2.2 you are unable to boot on iMac (possible others). A
I/O error is reported before kernal load etc etc proceed. Also,
reinstalling V2.1 which worked perfectly before, now fails with the same
message.

I had the exact same problem, and found a solution that worked for me.

If you use the defautl graphical install, partitions are created for
you. Even on a brand new disk, somehow the installations adds some more
partitions that are not visible during install. (you WILL see partitions
created up to /dev/hda8)

I restarted the installation in text mode, and with more interaction.
The text mode partition manager allowed removal of ALL partitions, my 3
and the systems surprise partitions.

After complinting the text mode install, everything worked fine.

Hope this is off some help to others.