IO Error after V2.2 installation - unable to reinstall V2.1

René Bourion yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 10 08:36:01 2002

Thanks. I believe that you are referring to my earlier postings.

Getting no reply, I had another look at my setup and I realized that the
order of the partitions was not that recommended by the book; that is to
say, I had put the Mac partitions first and the Linux stuff behind.

I therefore re-initialized the whole disk with the Apple tool and put in the
first place an unallocated space (future place of Linux), which has to be
less than 8 GB for MacOS 9 to be able to boot (I remember seeing this limit
discussed somewhere, but I now have a positive experience of it), and then
the Mac partitions, 5 G HFS+ and 2G HFS.

Finally, I used the GUI installer on the free space and all went well.

This is just my experience; I am by no means sure that my analysis was
correct and that my solution was the right one. Is the order of the
partitions all that important? But who knows?

R.B.