Nvidia support

K Hanai yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 10 12:02:01 2002

From: Kenshin Black <kenshinblack@mac.com>
> My card is also rev. 161 and the monitor is a Studio Display 17 CRT with the
> VGA connector. I'm getting 800x600 15bit (not very nice) with "fbdev" driver
> and the YDL 2.2 default kernel. If i use "nv" driver it hangs. If i try
> changing "fbdev" by "nv" it hangs in a black screen, if i use a bigger
> resolution with "fbdev", it goes to power saving mode indicating it's out if
> range.

Hi,

I have no experience with YDL, but have a quicksilver 867MHz with
GeForce2MX connected to a 15' LCD via a VGA port. With the latest
kernel-2.4.19-pre8-ben0 and XFree86-4.2.0, I can get 1024x768@24bpp,
which is the largest resolution with the display. I use the kernel
with OFFB driver and the nv driver of XFree86. (If your display
support, I think you can get higher resolution with this
combination). When I use the kernel nv driver and the fbdev driver
of XFree86, I can get only 16 bpp depth color. Only these
combinations work for the quicksilver. With the kernel nv driver
and the nv driver of XFree86, or with the kernel OFFB and
the fbdev of XFree86, I get the black (=no) or very poor screen.

I think this situation is the same with YDL if you use
the latest Ben's kernel and XFree86ln0-4.2.0. The kernels before
2.4.18-ben0 or the latest 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 work on the quicksilver
with the OFFB driver. The kernels from 2.4.18-ben0 to 2.4.19-pre7-ben0
do not work on the machine either with OFFB nor with the nv driver
because of a bug in these kernels for quicksilver. The kernel nv
driver from the latest 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 only works on the machine.
You can use only OFFB in other kernels. And be carefull, do not
include nv driver in the kernel configuration if you want to use
with the OFFB driver even with the latest 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 kernel.

HTH,
kaz