many problems solved - screen question

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 10 13:00:01 2002

  I want to thank everyone for their replies to my questions. I had
thought that the installer's disk formatting would overwrite any Linux
partitions created by Apple's drive setup. Evidently there was enough of
Apple's swap partition settings left to confuse Linux, so when I
reformatted the drive in Apple's setup and then formatted the Linux
partitions from free space when in the installer, everything installed
correctly. KDE was the default as expected, the swap partition mounted
successfully, and I can move and resize my windows. It's amazing what a
difference a swap partition makes. So, I thought I would let everyone
else know in case anyone else is having problems for the same reason.
Also, I apologize for wasting anyone's time.

I have another quesiton now. Text, icons, everything seem much larger
than they need to be - the toolbar for "send" "address" "attach" and
"save" is 7/8" high. How do I make it smaller? I have the screen
resolution in Linux set the same as in MacOS, but MacOS seems to use the
space much more efficiently. I've changed the resolution up and down in
Xconfigurator, and nothing on the desktop changes. I've looked through
all the selections in the control centers for KDE and Gnome and the
selections in preferences menu item for Nautilus and Mozilla. I've been
unable to find something that says "make everything smaller overall." It
seems there must be a way to do this, but I have been unable to find it.

Thanks,

Cindy