OT: Apple's New xServe - 1U Rackmount Server

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 14 13:45:01 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Ken Schweigert wrote:
>	http://www.apple.com/xserve/

A little price comparison:

Apple's thingy
-------------------------
Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache & 2MB L3 cache
per processor
512MB DDR SDRAM @ 266MHz
60GB Apple Drive Module
CD-ROM drive
ATI Graphics Card
Dual Gigabit Ethernet
Two USB ports
Three FireWire ports

Price    $3,999.00

TerraSoft's GVS option
---------------------------------
CPUs: dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 w/AltiVec.
Memory: 1 GB PC-133 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs.
Storage: 80 GB IDE drive.
Removable: DVD-RW Super Drive.
Communications: Gigabit, FireWire, USB.
Video Card: ATI Radeon 7500 dual (YDL video patch required).
Expansion: single 64/66 PCI slot.
Chassis: GVS 9000 2U Rack System.
Keyboard & Mouse: Apple USB.
Operating System: YDL & Mac OS X pre-installed; complete box sets.
Warranty Service Plan: GVS One year - Hardware.
Weight: 50 lbs.

Price: $3,839.00

 Honestly I can't imagine needing Dual GigE if you only have IDE drives.
Looks like TerraSoft has a *way* better deal here, better video card,
DVD-RW, a decent OS... :-) I'll go with bigger and a SuperDrive I can take
out and put into my home G4 while still saving over $100 over tiny and
pretty any day.

Cheers,

Chris