OT: Apple's New xServe - 1U Rackmount Server

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 14 16:15:01 2002

At 4:09 PM -0500 5/14/02, Robert Brandtjen wrote:
>On Tuesday 14 May 2002 02:45 pm, Christopher Murtagh wrote:
>>   Honestly I can't imagine needing Dual GigE if you only have IDE drives.
>>  Looks like TerraSoft has a *way* better deal here, better video card,
>>  DVD-RW, a decent OS... :-) I'll go with bigger and a SuperDrive I can take
>>  out and put into my home G4 while still saving over $100 over tiny and
>>  pretty any day.
>
>or, if your going to run Linux on it, build it for half that on intel
>archetecture - and yes tim, you can.

Of course.

Robert, you only earn my ire when you go completely off into left
field.  It goes without saying that Intel and AMD hardware is cheaper
and faster, except for a handful of niche applications.

Though for multiprocessor servers that have to be reliable, I'd pick
Intel ahead of AMD at this point.  That may wipe out the price
advantage (you can get P3 SMP for cheap but I wouldn't trust the
cheap chipsets, and I'm not sure you can get the good P3 Xeon stuff
any more, so you probably have to lay out big bucks for P4 Xeon).
AMD SMP motherboards simply are not very good in my experience -- 3
out of 4 Tyan Tiger MP system builds I know of had *serious* problems
sooner or later.  The problems were all isolated to the Tyan boards
by component swapping.  Hopefully MSI's new AMD SMP board will prove
to be better...

--
Tim Seufert