OT: Apple's New xServe - 1U Rackmount Server

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 14 18:41:01 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Paul Guba wrote:
>2 gig memory

 Ok, this is cool... but that will cost a lot more. The GVS comes with 1GB
included in the price. Apple's unit has only 512MB.

>4 hot swappable drives possibility

 This I don't really care about, they are IDE drives. I would just take
them all out anyway. Also, I have my doubts as to the cooling of this
unit.

>3 PCI slots

 For a server? Who cares? I only need 1 for my SCSI card to hook up to my
RAID box.

>Dual gigabit or Radeon 8500

 Dual GigE is useful if you are using it as a storage server and you want
to copy lots of stuff fast. Not sure why you would want IDE drives in this
case. As for the Radeon, cool but that costs extra as well. You can buy
one for the GVS I guess too (it is just a G4 cut up and stuffed into a new
case).

>smaller form factor

 Not a *huge* concern to me, decent cooling is more important. I suppose
for some this is important.

>a draw at best

 Not sure I agree, I would rather wait until people start using Xserve
before I see how good it is. Rev 1 B&W G3s, G4s (Yikes) were lemons, so
where Rev 1 Titaniums.

>That GVS actually weighs 50 pounds.

 Hey, my sun machine weights over 400 lbs. It's a sever, not a portable
unit. Of course, my sun machine has less power than my WallStreet, that
kinda sucks. :-)

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/max/my_new_toy.html

 now converted into a java station:

http://blues.mcgill.ca/~chris/java/