printing, shared permissions, file compatibility

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 12:49:02 2002

Hello everyone -

I have been trying for several days to get Linux to print. I have an
Apple LaserWriter Select 310. I know it's a postscript printer, and
since I have to turn off Appletalk in MacOS to print to it, I am
guessing it isn't an Appletalk printer. Does that mean it's Localtalk
and therefore not supported?

With my fist attempts at printing from KDEword, I was getting a message
about hostname 'localhost' bad. I fixed this by putting localhost in the
/etc/hosts file - which didn't even exist until I created it for this
purpose. I also added it to /etc/hosts.allowed. Now I get a message
"Cannot open connection to localhost. Network is unreachable. Make sure
LPD server is running." I'm not sure what this means relative to my
situation. My printer is not networked. All the attempts I've made at
printing from printconf-gui come back with "There was an error trying to
print the test page." KDEword at least gives me more informative error
messages.

My next quesion is: how do I give users permission to write to the
Mac/Linux shared partition? I was able to give users write permission
for /dev/hda6, but when I try to give permission to the shared
directory, nothing happens. I type "chmod  +aw /mac/shared_hda, but ls
-l for /mac/shared_hda shows no changes, and I still can't copy files to
it as a user. Do I have to change something in /etc/fstab?

Final question: why won't Netscape and Mozilla share files? If I copy a
Mozilla email to the shared disk (as root) Canvas opens it in MacOS as a
blank page. Similarly, Mozilla refuses to open a Netscape html page from
the shared disk. In LinuxPPC 1999, Mozilla wouldn't open it from
file:open, but I was able to drag-and-drop the file icon onto the open
window and see it properly. This doesn't seem to work in YDL 2.2.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Cindy