OT: Apple's New xServe - 1U Rackmount Server

Eric D. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 13:18:01 2002

One silly question I have is...

Why does a headless server need a fairly potent video card?

Plus, the problem with an extra video card is that that's an extra draw on
the power supply, thus, you pay more for your electricity, but they also
generate more heat so you pay *twice* in that you also pay for air
conditioning. (I suppose practical considerations like that aren't allowed
in computer design labs ;) If I were building a rack of these the video
cards would be the first thing pulled (& the GB ethernet card if they didn't
need GB ethernet (probably not since all I'd need a rack for would be
distributed computing number crunching)).