KDE 3.0 Install

Stephen Reiach yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 15 18:13:01 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 21:34, Tom Spencer wrote:
> Other than apt-get kdebase what else could i do? like apt-get kdefull???
>
> Tom

Thats a good question. I believe the answer is well, no. apt has a
dependency tree compiled so if you need other packages installed in
order to get kdebase installed it pulls them down too. The package name
is usualy the rpm name minus the version-platform info.

So when I 'apt-get install kdebase' i not only got the kdebase package
but everthing else i needed to get kde running. From there i only need
like 3 more packages namely kdegames, koffice and something else and i
was good.

Im new to the whole apt-get thing myself but i as I understand it, it
only works using package names and there no way to asign a group package
as such. However you can install multiple packages at once ie, 'apt-get
install kdebase koffice kdetoys' its would downloads and install all
three packages.

Stephen Reiach
PS. If anyone knows if im speaking half truths here jump in.