Nvidia support

brad allison yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 16 11:55:00 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Bill Fink wrote:

> HOWTO For Setting Up Accelerated X using NVIDIA Graphics Cards on YDL
>
> 1.  Get a very recent Linux kernel.  I recommend the 2.4.19-pre8-ben0
>     kernel.

[jackal@isis jackal]$ uname --release
2.4.18-0.9a

> 2.  Either make sure that the kernel is built *WITHOUT* CONFIG_FB_RIVA
>     support, or make sure that the "novideo" option is used in your
>     /etc/yaboot.conf file (which causes video=ofonly to be passed as a
>     boot argument to the kernel).  This causes the console video system
>     to use the OpenFirmware video (OFFB).

[root@isis jackal]# grep default /etc/yaboot.conf
defaultos=linux
default=linux-novideo

> 3.  Make sure you have a recent XFree86 4.2 suite of RPMs, such as
>     XFree86-4.2.0-0.6.24a (or more recent).

[root@isis jackal]# X -version

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (echo Yellow Dog Linux release: 4.2.0-6.30d) / X Window System

> 4.  Initially, set the "initdefault" level in /etc/inittab to:
>
>     id:3:initdefault:
>
>     so that the system does not start a graphical login.

[root@isis jackal]# grep ":initdefault" /etc/inittab
id:3:initdefault:

> 5.  Login to the console as root, and run Xconfigurator, which will
>     generate an /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  Select the desired screen
>     resolution and color depth when you run Xconfigurator.  Afterward,
>     edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, and change the "Driver" entry
>     in the Section "Device" to "nv" (including the quote characters).
>     This is what activates the X acceleration.  The accelerated "nv"
>     X driver can not currently coexist with the accelerated "riva"
>     console video driver, and that is why you must use the OpenFirmware
>     console video (which is not accelerated).

[root@isis jackal]# grep nv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
        Driver "nv"

> 6.  Test the accelerated "nv" X driver by running /etc/X11/X.  If all
>     goes well, you should get a grey screen with an X mouse cursor which
>     you should be able to move around the screen.  Switch back to virtual
>     terminal 1 by entering <Control-Alt-F1> and kill X by typing
>     <Control-C>.

When I ran "startx" at this point the box -completely- hung... as in even
my ssh sessions into the host were hung.

-b

--
                                 Brad Allison
                         AOL Core Services -- RHCE