OT: Apple's New xServe - 1U Rackmount Server/off topic

Eric D. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 16 13:54:01 2002

on 16/5/02 20:00, Patrick Ladam at ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr wrote:

>> To also throw the rest of the developed world in... 20% consume over 80% of
>> the world's resources (& have 90+% of the wealth). Do we really want the
>> "developing world" to become developed?
>
> Sooo politically correct... good boy

<chuckle... some tongue in cheek commentary> A simple case of mathematics --
if the remaining 80% were to be brought up to the standard of living
experienced by the top 20% that would require an additional 340% over the
current rate of resource consumption (of course, this won't happen b/c we
depend on cheap labour and resources from the developing world to maintain
our standard of excess).

... especially if we go for universal excessive beef consumption (how many
globes would be required to satisfy NA/McDonald's rate of beef consumption
for everyone?... although, I guess the correlated decline in health would
off-set that resource consumption a little ;)

... we could go far by forcing all the boys with guns to pack them up &
dismantling militaries (what was it? an estimated 30% of world oil
consumption was for military purposes (can't remember details) -- those F16s
& Hum-Vs ain't exactly fuel efficient)