Ok, so I'm clueless. :) Setting up an external modem.

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 17 08:29:01 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 10:23, Scott Alan Burch wrote:

> Start with some basic troubleshooting. I have a Mac  9500 with a Best Data
> 56k external modem that I bought at Fry's. The first thing I did was made
> sure it would dial from the Mac OS side before I tried it on the YDL side.
>
> I recall that since the MacOS saw the modem and would dial it from the
> modem port, the "Dialup Configuration" on KDE already had the modem
> defaulted as /dev/ttyS0.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> ##  scott

To the original poster...  As Scott said in his post, the modem may in
fact show up as /dev/ttys0 - that's fine, but your dialer may be
expecting to find it at /dev/modem.  You may first want to see if you
have a /dev/modem :

ls -l /dev/modem

If nothing shows up, try creating a symbolic link:

(as root)

ln -s /dev/ttys0 /dev/modem

See if that helps.