Nvidia support

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 17 11:12:01 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Bill Fink wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002, brad allison wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 16 May 2002, Bill Fink wrote:
> >
> > > HOWTO For Setting Up Accelerated X using NVIDIA Graphics Cards on YDL
> > >
> > > 1.  Get a very recent Linux kernel.  I recommend the 2.4.19-pre8-ben0
> > >     kernel.
> >
> > [jackal@isis jackal]$ uname --release
> > 2.4.18-0.9a
>
> I'd really recommend using the 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 kernel, which you can
> rsync from rsync.penguinppc.org.  The standard 2.4.18 kernel doesn't have
> Ani Joshi's riva PPC patch. so be sure you *DO NOT* have CONFIG_FB_RIVA
> enabled in the kernel.  Failure to do say may very well cause your
> system to crash when you try to use the accelerated "nv" X driver.

Well I just checked and the YDL 2.2 2.4.18 kernel does have Ani Joshi's
riva PPC patch, but it also has CONFIG_FB_RIVA enabled in the kernel.
I am unable to test the YDL 2.2 2.4.18 kernel since it won't boot on the
867 MHz G4.  Since others have reported that just using the "novideo"
yaboot option doesn't work with the YDL 2.2 2.4.18 kernel, if you want
to use that kernel, you'll need to rebuild the kernel with CONFIG_FB_RIVA
disabled.  But I still believe your best bet is to rsync the latest BenH
2.4.19-pre8-ben0 kernel from rsync.penguinppc.org, and that's what I
highly recommend if you want to get the accelerated "nv" X driver to
work with NVIDIA graphics cards on YDL.

						-Bill