building a new kernel for quicksilver g4/867 running ydl2.1

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 17 12:22:00 2002

R Shapiro writes:

 > Does anyone have a .config file that's known to work well
 > for these issues on this hardware?  Or, failing that, any specific
 > warnings or suggestions re: what components to include and exclude?

Never mind.  I did a config from scratch and figured it out pretty
quickly.  Not much has changed since the old days...

 > The other issue is getting an
 > accelerated X driver for the nvidia card (I have the Xfree 4.2.0 rpms
 > installed).

As it happens, it's not necessary to build a kernel to get the
accelerated nv driver to work.  Following Bill Fink's instructions
with the standard ydl2.1 kernel (2.4.10-12a) works fine, although I
had better luck editing my non-accelerated XF86Config-4 than using the
one produced by Xautoconfig4.

--
rshapiro@bbn.com