plz help

Asif Hadi yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 18 05:11:04 2002

I sent out the following mail to all you guys, a couple of days. Could someone out there please help me!!

Thx
Asif

DATE: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:33:02
From: "Asif Hadi" <sohan_a@lycos.com>

Ok i am rather at loss here. I have been having lots with this
PowerMac of mine installing linux. I tried to install debian at first,
and now have decided to try out ydl 2.2.

System: PowerMac 5500 running MacOS 8.0 with 32MB and 2 GB HD. Now I
know that 32MB RAM is small (and some say inadequate) but my friend
installed (using the text installer) MDK with 32MB RAM so i figured
that ydl wouldn't have problems with text installer. I am pretty
comfortable with command-line, so having no x isn't a big deal.

So coming to the problems.
   First of all the bootx extension is giving problems. As the bootx
screen comes up after bootup and i choose the appropiate ramdisk from
options, click on linux on the main window and, wallah, an error
message from Mac:

" Sorry a sytem error has occured
   *Bootx extension
  Unimplemented Trap
...................."

Basically advises to restast with shift key pressed to disable
extensions during boot up.

So met with this i use the bootx app instead of the extension. And
that goes well enough, with linux installation system starting up (ram
file uncompressing,.yada yada yada) until it gets to the following
point.

(i am qouting the last few lines on the screen):

"
Freeing unused kernel memory: 312k init 8 chrp 8 prep
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00 : rw=0,want=8198,limit=8192
Ext fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read
inode block-inode=1020, block=819)
Warning=unable to open initial console
01:00:rw=0,want=8198, limit 8192
Ext fs error (deviceramdisk(1,0)):ext2_read_inode: unable to read
inode block_inode=1017,block=8197)
[23:2 2 2 [3] 3]
ADB Keyboard at 2, handler set to 3
DetectedADB keyboard, type ANSI
input 1: ADB HDD on ID 2:2:02
ADB Mouse at 3, Hanlder set to 2
input 2: ADB HD on ID 3:3:01
adb: finished probe test
"

HERE the system freezes.

Has this smthing to do with insufficient memory? Is there a
workaround?? Any help would be much appreaciated.
Thx Asif

Outgrown your current e-mail service?
Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus