Install YDL 2.2 on Beige G3

Ryan Collier yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 19 14:20:01 2002

I've been running into problems installing YDL 2.2 on my Beige G3.

Specifically, the installer (both text based and GUI based) freezes while
installing the packages. The freeze rarely occurs at the same spot twice.

Here's the procedure I've been following:

Installing on separate drive from Mac OS 9.

I've downloaded and burned the 2.2 ISO image using Toast Titanium. Disk
mounts in OS 9, and installer runs in linux install setup.

Use drive setup to initialize 4GB hard drive, set partition to
"Unallocated."

Use BootX, and select text based (or GUI based, I've tried both) RAM disk
that BootX installs in the System Folder.

I've checked & unchecked "Force SCSI ON," and tried installing with and
without "Force Video Settings." Both return the same unsuccessful results.

The installer takes me through the usual steps, I add the 3 required
partitions - 10MB boot, 256MB swap, Maximum ext2.

Formats, partitions disk.

I chose to install "Everything."

The installer reads the packages from the CD, then transfers them, then
begins to install the files. However, the installer ALWAYS freezes at some
point during the install. It sometimes freezes half-way through, other times
it freezes after installing just 3 files. At other times, it freezes after
installing 10 files. I haven't found any pattern or correlation to why it
freezes.

If I'm installing using the GUI, my cursor becomes immobilized, and my
keyboard becomes cold as ice (I push caps lock, and the light doesn't come
on, similar result for num lock.) If I'm using the text based installer,
then just the latter effects are visible. It rarely freezes on a specific
file, but somewhat randomly.

I've tried downloading 2 different ISO images from two different FTP
mirrors, one at PSU, and another from Australia. Both exhibit the same
result - a frozen installer at some point during installation.

Thoughts, ideas, any input to save me from ripping out my last remaining
strands of hair!?!

Here's my system specs:

Rev. 1 Beige (Gossamer) G3 @ 233Mhz
Mac OS 9.2.2 (loaded on a separate Seagate Barracuda 4GB SCSI drive)
384 MB Ram
Pioneer DVR-A03 DVD/RW drive (I'm thinking this might be the culprit)
Installing to ATA 4GB Quantum FireBall hard drive (the drive the computer
originally shipped with)

Cheers,

Ryan